Home / DEPARTMENTS / Paediatrics & Neonatology
Dr. Johny Vakayil FrancisConsultant Paediatrician and Neonatologist
Monday - Saturday
9.00 AM - 10.00 AM ; 11.30 AM - 1.30 PM ; 4.30 - 6.00 PM
- MBBS - Government Medical College, Calicut, Kerala (1992)
- DCH (Diploma in Child Health) - Government Medical College, Calicut (1996)
- MD (Paediatrics) - Government Medical College, Calicut, Kerala, India (1997)
- Australian Medical Council: Licensing exam: Part 1 & 2 (2010)
- PGPN (Post Graduate Program in Paediatric Nutrition) - Boston University (2014)
- Ventilatory management of sick babies in Australia.
- Cranial ultrasound
- Transportation of sick new born babies.
- Exposure to all types of Neonatal cases especially surgical cases including diaphragmatic hernia and their follow up in paediatric clinic.
- Experience at the level III NICU and PICU
- Ultrasound guided procedures.
- Primary care of all Gastroenterology patients.
- Consultant Paediatrician and Neonatologist -Medical Trust Hospital, Cochin (Since February 2018)
- Senior Paediatrician and Neonatologist - PVS Memorial Hospital, Kaloor, Cochin (February 2011-January 2017)
- Clinical Fellow, New-born Services - Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria.( March 2006 to Feb 2011)
- Clinical Fellow, Neonatology & Paediatrics - King’s College Hospital, London (Dec. 2004 – Feb 2006)
- Registrar in Neonatology - Monash Medical Center, Clayton, Victoria, Australia (July 2002 – November 2004)
- I also have been working with ‘New-born Emergency Transport Service’ (NETS), Victoria, Australia and has been involved in transfer of nearly 25 sick neonates during this period.
- Junior Consultant in Paediatrics and Neonatology - PVS. Memorial Hospital, Ernakulam (Aug: 2000 – May 2002)
- Senior Resident in Department of Gastroenterology - Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Cochin. (Oct. 1998 – Nov. 1999)
- Paediatrician - ‘Holy Cross Hospital’, Kodenchery, Calicut, Kerala, India. (Sept. 1997 – Sept 1998)
- Post graduate Resident trainee in Paediatrics, (including 6months training in Neonatology, and 2months in Paediatric Surgery) in Government Medical College, Calicut, Kerala.
- Resident Medical Officer in ‘Jacob’s Nursing Home’, Kazhuthumuttu, Cochin, Kerala. (April 1992-May 1994)
MEMBERSHIPS & CERTIFICATIONS
- IAP –NNF Neonatal Resuscitation Program – First Golden Minute Project – Regional Training of Trainers course completed successfully – Jan 2018. Nagpur.
- Advanced Neonatal Resuscitation Course (Advanced NRP): Conducted in PVS Memorial Hospital, Kaloor, Kochi on Nov 30th, 2014. Successfully completed.
- NICU – Crisis Resource Management: Successfully completed from Southern Health Simulation and Skills Center, Melbourne on October 2010
- Neonatal Resuscitation Course: Successfully completed the coursed conducted in Southern Health, Melbourne on 23.07.08;
- Neonatal Cranial Ultrasound Examination: Structured training with hands on experience, conducted in Southern Health in Clayton, November 2007 to January 2008.
- Neonatal and Paediatric Ventilation: Summer 2005 – held on 9 &10 June 2005 in UK.
- Intrapartum Fetal Surveillance Education (By RANSCOG) - Attended on 6th and 13th of September 2004
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support (APLS) Course: Successfully completed the APLS course conducted in Melbourne, on 25- 27th June, 2004
AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Won the Best paper award for Practicing Paediatrician in Pedicon Kerala State Conference November 2016 – Ernakulum.
- Best Clinical Case report, Cochin Clinical Society, India in 2001
- Award for Best Paper in IAP Kerala State 26th Annual Conference, held at Kollam, India in 1995.
- Anaesthetic challenges in managing a case of type III Laryngo-Tracheo-Esophageal cleft. Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus Ligation and Post-operative Hemodynamic Instability: Case Report and Framework for Enhanced Neonatal Care. Indian Journal of Paediatrics
- Respiratory and cardiovascular morbidity in the first 48 hours post-surgical ligation of the patent Ductus Arteriosus. Journal of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Dry Lung Syndrome: A Distinct Clinical Entity. Indian Journal of Paediatrics.
- Preoperative staging of patent Ductus Arteriosus correlates with postoperative hemodynamic instability. Archives of Disease in Childhood
- Use of Milrinone in the Management of Haemodynamic Instability following Duct Ligation. European Journal of Paediatrics
- Occlusive Aortic Arch Thrombus in a preterm neonate. Paediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Interpreting positive cultures of endotracheal aspirates: Factors associated with treatment decisions in ventilated neonates. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Hemodynamic alterations associated with Polycythemia and partial exchange transfusion. Journal of Perinatology
- Renal failure from obstructive Fungal Mycetoma, and Fungal Sepsis in an infant. Indian Paediatrics
- Immature Anterior Mediastinal Teratoma in a New-born. Journal of NNF Kerala –The New-born Emergencies.
- An unusual case of Para-esophageal Bronchogenic cyst. Journal of NNF Kerala –The New-born
- Tracheo-oesophageal Fistula – 12 year experience in a tertiary centre. Journal of NNF Kerala –The New-born.
- Images in Clinical Practice: “Infantile Cortical Hyperostosis” (Caffey’s Disease). Indian Paediatrics
- Clinical Images: Collodion Baby, Hallermann-Streiff Syndrome, Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome, Sirenomelia. Journal of NNF Kerala –The New-born
- Congenital Cystic Hygroma. Journal of NNF Kerala –The New-born